The 6 Principles of Naturopathy
Naturopathic doctors, or NDs, abide by the following principles of their practice, which studies and celebrates nature’s healing powers. The following are taken from the website of the Association of Accredited Naturopathic Medical Colleges:
- First Do No Harm. Utilize the most natural, least invasive and least toxic therapies.
- The Healing Power of Nature. Trust in the body’s inherent wisdom to heal itself.
- Identify and Treat the Causes. Look beyond the symptoms to the underlying cause.
- Doctor as Teacher. Educate patients in the steps to achieving and maintaining health.
- Treat the Whole Person. View the body as an integrated whole in all its physical and spiritual dimensions.
- Prevention. Focus on overall health, wellness and disease prevention.